Joe Hendren

[ Home ] [ Articles ] [ Blog Home ] [ Travel ] [ Links] [About Me]

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

TV3 cites Wikipedia

TV3 News tonight had a story looking at legal recognition of "civil unions" in New Zealand and other parts of the world.

When listing some of the other places that have legalised either civil unions or same-sex marriage the reporter made a very interesting citation - "according to internet encyclopaedia Wikipedia".

Is this the first time TV news in NZ have cited Wikipedia as a source? Does anyone know of any other similar televised citations? I have no doubt reporters have used for stories in the past, so its quite nice for this to be acknowledged. Was this "slipped in" during the quiet summer break?

For my own writing I find Wikipedia a valuable source of "research leads" - that is I look at Wikipedia for the overview and then try to confirm the information from another source (I am generally looking for more detail anyway). Come to think of it, this is not too different to how most people would use a paper based encyclopaedia.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:09 am, Blogger Aaron Bhatnagar said...

Yes I saw that too. Not just a citation, but use of graphics as well I think.

 
At 5:42 pm, Blogger Cathie said...

you have to be kidding me! and it wasn't even fox news...

 
At 8:59 pm, Blogger Joe Hendren said...

Nope, not kidding, though I think your comparision with fox is not that fair. Fox need to start using a wider variety of sources, and not just rely on the dribble coming out of the Bush White House.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home